Saturday, March 5, 2016

TOW #20 - The Bassoon King

Throughout Rainn Wilson’s memoir he shares all the events that has led up to him becoming the person he is today. After explaining how incredibly nerdy he was while young, playing Dungeons and Dragons in the basement with his friends, his life then transitioned to being a theater nerd instead. Wilson believed that in the moment he was told to join the theater, his entire life changed. His philosophy, as he explains in this book, is that there are specific moments that occur, in the years between 16 and 25, that are specifically remembered because they change your life forever. Considering his memoir is somewhat recent and this has been his view for a very long time, he would still believe this today. His evidence for this theory is only the events in his life. He does not have any sources for this idea but I don’t see this as something he wants to stubbornly convince others of, it is just something he believes. Though because it is a subtle argument, the lack of sources does not affect the argument. Also because this is a small part in a big book, he does not use any model or organization for this argument.
Because I am only at the beginning of the age range that is supposed to have an effect, I cannot agree or disagree. I don’t have enough evidence or experience myself to see if his theory is correct. This shows that only a certain group of people would be able to really explore this philosophy. I also cannot create my own version of this theory. I would imagine he is right, as I have heard how important these coming years will be. Many adults explain the discovery a ten will go through the their college years so I’d imagine Rainn Wilson is correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment